Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscar winners

The 78th Annual Academy Awards called curtain almost 2 hours ago. The whole world "Crash-ed" tonight. But first let's look at this year's winners in order of announcement:

Actor Supporting: George Clooney for Syriana
Visual Effects: King Kong
Animated Feature: Wallace & Grommit and the curse of the were-rabbit
Live Action Short: Six Shooter
Animated Short Film: The Moon and the Son: an imagined conversation
Costume Design: Memoirs of a Geisha
Makeup: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Actress Supporting: Rachel Weisz for The Constant Gardener
Documentary Short: A Note of Triumph
Documentary Feature: March of the Penguins
Art Direction: Memoirs of a Geisha
Original Score: Brokeback Mountain
Sound Mixing: King Kong
Honorary Oscar: Robert Altman
Original Song: "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" from Hustle & Flow
Sound Editing: King Kong
Foreign Language Film: Tsotsi
Film Editing: Crash
Actor Leading: Philip Seymour Hoffman for Capote
Cinematography: Memoirs of a Geisha
Actress Leading: Reese Witherspoon for Walk the Line

Screenplay Adapted: Brokeback Mountain
Screenplay Original: Crash

Directing: Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain

Best Picture: Crash

------------------------------------------------

Yes... As you can see, all ended... with a bang. Crash, not a huge success in the box-office (honestly, not one of the movies nominated this year in the Best Picture category managed to gather the crowd of the ones in previous years), already on DVD around the world, won the night and snatched Brokeback Mountain its crown. There was this talk about Crash surprising everyone in the end and not letting, what fans of the notoriously credited as a "gay-western", Brokeback Mountain make a stand with its homosexuality theme.

I started the night binge-eating on pizza and burgers, drinking Coke and then stuffing myself with a delicious cheesecake made by my friend Zoe. Having time to kill, we had already rented Crash (coincidence? :P) and were astounded by its theme and performances.

Then we had fun watching the red carpet arrivals, where Felicity Huffman looked stunning (better luck next time Felicity I think you deserved to win, although Reese had to go through hoops to learn to talk with a different accent, sing and play a particular musical instrument), amazed at the appearance of none other than Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter and Jamie Foxx's sister.

Then... drumroll... it was time for the real thing. We had readied our printable ballots and marked our guesses for the wins. Not everything worked out as... planned. I mean who would have guessed some guys from... "the hood" would win the oscar for best song! It sure was catchy though!

By the end, I knew it wouldn't be the same movie winning best director AND best picture.

I had marked Paul Haggis and Brokeback Mountain. But it was Ang Lee and Crash.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for the update and review. Sounds so interesting. I wish I didn't have to go work today, or else I could have watched it live at aroun 9am local time.

Any cheesecake left? I want some!!!

Anonymous said...

And I wanted to write a review for my own blog, WHEN I start writing in it anyway... I can't seem to gather myself to it. Oh well, It's not like I am in a hurry or something. Should I remind you, your english are impeccable! I read your blog entries and they are so beautifully written I stop and read it again.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin