Monday, July 17, 2006

Thought #19: Animality & Animosity

With Nassia being stood up for over a quarter of an hour, I was running down the street to reach the main road and get me a cab. Although in such a hurry, I noticed something that caught my attention and made me stand still and observe. A trail of ants, as if mysteriously yet forcefully gushed out of the concrete pavement, their colony nearby. They seemed to be busy at work, whatever work an ant may have.

If I hadn't stopped just in time, maybe cause of the telepathic brain waves their antennas were transmitting, most of the colony would have been annihilated under the sole of my right shoe. I would have become the soul reaper of little critters and carrier of their remnants across town.

Relieved to know that nature went on in its regular tempo, I was reminded of back when I was still 5 or 6 years old, using reeds and small twigs to catch ants and simply watch them crawl up and down, sometimes even crawling up my hands and arms.

I wasn't scared of ants back then, only bees and wasps, crickets, beetles, grasshoppers and praying mantises. (And these are only from the insect kingdom... We also have lizards, toads, ... *gasps for air* yes I'm a scaredy cat... So sue me!)

What's my point? My point is that people nowadays, always including yours truly, have forgotten to simply stand still and remember for a moment. Happy thoughts, simple things in life that seem to be bygones and no one cares about in the frenzied pace of modern life.

Everything seemed so big back then. So awe-inspiring and so breathtaking. The ants this time were miniscule. It's not just my great height. It's how everyone has been stressed, struggling through life and rarely one pauses to look around and take a breath.

Don't you miss the grandeur of your youth?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin